Latest news from the Chairperson of the Electronic Working Group about the new UEAA commission: “agricultural education”
We remind you that at the last general meeting of October 11, 2016 in Paris, a new commission called “agricultural education” has been created.
This commission will focus initially on technical agricultural education in order to produce a report on the various challenges that currently meet the farmers and particularly the young ones across Europe in running their own business and how could adequate technical agricultural education could assist them to better understand the changes in agriculture of today and tomorrow and help them to cope with those in the most efficient manner.”
A working group tries to gather examples of experience in the field of agricultural education.
I thank our colleagues of the Slovak Academy of Agricultural Sciences and of Agricultural Sciences of Georgia for their answer but we need to go further on.
For exemple, in Occitanie, a new administrative Region in South of France (main cities : Toulouse and Montpellier), we organized in February 2017, a regional gathering to discuss together with the leaders of agricultural colleges, the regional representatives and the professional representatives about the feature of farmers, their education at school and more widely about the future of agriculture in France.
The challenge of these conferences was to make them not only a space for exchanges and meetings but also, to capitalize on the specificities of agricultural production and agri-food quality; Give ambition to the agricultural and agronomic education of the new region, notably through the new forms of close relationship between the institutions and their territories.
Aims and Objectives: Display an ambition and a regional will around the axis: “Produce, train and consume in other ways by enhancing territorial specificities”.
This can be reflected in:
- Expand the regional pattern of agricultural holdings in high schools to the scale of the new Region
- Valorize organic / quality training, develop the oenology / sommellerie sector
- Sensitize and train young people to produce it differently
- Allow the establishment to anticipate the changes in the agricultural and rural world, to reflect on its territorial anchorage and its transformation and accompanying actions.
- Strengthen the link with higher education and research around the axis “agriculture – agronomy”
J P Bastié, Paris, 3 4 17